When I went into my craft room yesterday I had one goal - make a graduation card for a special young lady. Well I couldn't help but think that a floating dress card would be so much fun to make for her for this occasion. So I set out to do just that. Let me share with you my final result.
I will list the video link again at the end of this post so you can see how Karen Burnstein made her card. For now I will focus on my colors, stamp and design. I started with a base card of Very Vanilla cut at 5" x 11". I ran this through my big shot using the card base pop 'n cuts die. It will cut a 4 1/4" x 11" card. I scored this at 5 1/2". Next, I pulled a retired stamp set called Go, Graduate. I used the cap stamp and made a background on the front of the card. I then ran this once again through my big shot using the labels framelits to cut out the hole for the front. Prior to removing the piece, I added runner adhesive to the back of the label and pressed it against the back of the card so that the piece removed from the front would now be inside the card. Next, I took 3 pieces of Basic Black card stock all cut at 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" and placed the same label framelit I just used on it as well as the next size up so I could make frames for the opening and label of the card. I did each individually. I attached the front one to the card using runner adhesive. I used a gold marker and added the year to each side and dots to the curves. Rhinestones completed the look of the front.
Here is a closer look at the card with the frame. You can see the gold numbers and dots as well as the rhinestones. I really like how this all came together and how it looks.
Here is the inside of the card. You can see the label that was cut out from the front. You can also see the frame I made to go around it. I decorated the frame just like the front one so that it was consistent. The greeting is another retired stamp called Happy Grad. I stamped this using Basic Black ink and then cut it out using my set of oval framelits. I sponged the edges with Basic Black ink and attached it to the inside label using runner adhesive.
Here is a view of the floating dress from the inside of the card front. As you can see I used the third frame here. I decorated it with the gold marker. The frames and the 3 dresses were all sprayed using the champagne shimmer spray. Even though my dress is only one color, I went ahead and cut 2 strips of Basic Black card stock at 2 1/2" x 11". I adhered them back to back using runner adhesive. The reason I chose to do this was because I made the dress originally as just a single layer and it really did not work well. It was really weak so I went an remade it using the 2 strips adhered together. Once the card stock was prepared, I ran it through the big shot and cut out my 3 dresses, one at a time. I sprayed both sides of the dress with the champagne shimmer spray. I then added polka dots with my gold marker. Then I cut the slits and notches, intertwined them and attached the main dress to the card on the front using glue dots.
Here you and see the dress open and floating. I just love the colors I chose for this!
Here is a shot from the top down which shows you the dress opened up. Here is the video link to learn how to make the dress: click here for video.
Now I have no idea what I will make to share with you tomorrow so you will just have to stop by to see if I come up with something boring or exciting. Thanks for dropping by today to visit. See you tomorrow.